Monday, February 8, 2010

Elihu

The book of Job is the oldest book of the Bible
Much has been written about Elihu, many many theologians say he was a great man, setting the stage for God to come in and talk to Job. Few people regard him as deceptive. I can't believe how clear it is that he is the worst player in Job. He is full of contradictions, it becomes apparent when one sits down and just reads the whole book. Job did not answer this guy! There are great principles in this wonderful book.



Elihu Chapter 32

Job 32:1-5 Introduction to Elihu
1. There are at least 29 references to himself in this chapter alone

2. kindled wrath is used 4 times in his introduction

3. Buzite - ' contempt'

  • Job32.2,32:6 Buzite
  • Job 12:5,21; 31:34 buz - to despise, to loathe, to contemn


3. Claims to be filled with the spirit of God but describes it in a strange way

  • 32:8But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
  • 18For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me.
  • 19Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles.


4. opinion -'dea' used 5x in OT all in:

  • Job. 32:6,10,17 - 'dea' - opinion
  • 36:3, 37:16 - 'dea' knowledge




Job 32
 1So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. Lamsa -So these three men who wanted to condemn Job ceased answering him, because he was found righteous in their eyes. Bullinger says the word 'men' is 'nosh' - men of name, always in a bad sense, having inability

 2Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the kindred of Ram: against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God. rather than God? Where did Job do this?
 3Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job. Lamsa -because they found no answer that they might condemn him.
 4Now Elihu had waited till Job had spoken, because they were elder than he. culture? this smacks of false humility
 5When Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouth of these three men, then his wrath was kindled.
 6And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; wherefore I was afraid, and durst not shew you mine opinion. afraid and durst ?
 7I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom. Yes it should!
 8But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
 9Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment. why does he have to make this point, the same statement is true about anybody.
 10Therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion. What is this?
 11Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons, whilst ye searched out what to say.
 12Yea, I attended unto you, and, behold, there was none of you that convinced Job, or that answered his words: Bullinger - convinced = convicted 'yakach 5' to make manifest or prominent hiph(5) - reprove,rebuke
 13Lest ye should say, We have found out wisdom: God thrusteth him down, not man. God thrusteth him down?
 14Now he hath not directed his words against me: neither will I answer him with your speeches.
 15They were amazed, they answered no more: they left off speaking.
 16When I had waited, (for they spake not, but stood still, and answered no more;)
 17I said, I will answer also my part, I also will shew mine opinion. Again what is this?
 18For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me. Is he constipated?
 19Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles. Hmm -old wine in new bottles? Bullinger says that if the fermentation process is not complete, skin bottle burst.
 20I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer. I think he's gonna burp.
 21Let me not, I pray you, accept any man's person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man. Puleeze!Flattering titles, flattering?
 22For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away. God would take him away? The adversary would would do that.

No comments:

Followers